CBR-Forum.uk

Advice on purchasing Blackbird

Like the supersonic spy jet from which it got its name, the Super Blackbird delivers an afterburner kick of truly earth-shattering performance that simply takes your breath away.

Advice on purchasing Blackbird

Postby goldtar » Sat 27 Feb,2010 21:08

Hi all

I am seriously considering the purchase of an 07 black Blackbird - I have been looking for quite a while and there aren't that many about. I have a couple of concerns:

1. Is
goldtar
(0+)
(0+)

Re: Advice on purchasing Blackbird

Postby Pegleg Pete » Sat 27 Feb,2010 23:27

I have a CBR600F and can only go for about 1hour tops before feeling pain everywhere.

As sports bikes go, the 600 F is one of the least extreme seated positions. I don't need to tell you that opinions on here don't make up for having a shot on one and seeing how it suits you but if the F causes you grief you might want something a bit more upright :dunno:
Pegleg Pete
(250+)
(250+)

a.k.a.: Pete
Main Bike: 954 RR3

Postby PEM » Sun 28 Feb,2010 00:17

You will have to ride one.
You say pains everywhere?? Everyone is different.
My son now rides a supermoto style due to leg cramps on sports bikes. I have problems sitting on anything for more than 50 miles.
600F is a very comfortable position bike for a "sports" bike.
The Blackbird was not originally designed to be a tourer.
i rode a Blackbird and the problem for me and alot of Blackbird riders is the bar height / reach - most upgrade to high-risers or fit VFR bars for the extra loft.
PEM
(1,000+)
(1,000+)

Postby Iggy » Sun 28 Feb,2010 13:40

I find my Blackbird very comfortable and am quite happy on it all day. As PEM said, they do have a bit of a reach over the tank to the bars.

As for the price, I look on autotrader for a price guide, but you'll pay what you think is right for the right bike..

They're great bikes though.. :thumbsup:
Iggy
(5,000+)
(5,000+)

Main Bike: CBR1100XX-5

Postby goldtar » Sun 28 Feb,2010 15:45

Thanks for the responses.

One of the reaons I asked the question is that whilst trawling through forums I have seen endless people talking about installing risers / vfr bars on their BB's. It seems to a mixture of short / tall / thin and not so thin people. This made me wonder if the looks of the BB were going to be worth the less comfort of something more upright.

I have been watching the bike trader, mcn etc now for months and there hasn't been a single BB for sale here in NI. So getting a decent test ride at all is going to prove difficult.

Cheers
goldtar
(0+)
(0+)

Postby Pegleg Pete » Sun 28 Feb,2010 18:25

Not sure how far north you are but these guys...
http://www.t7honda.co.uk/used_bikes.html
...are in Ballymena
(follow link and click on visit online used bike showroom)

Now, they don't have a BB for sale however they do have a CBF 1000 and a Pan European. While you are waiting for a BB to come along it could well be worth seeing if something else surprises you. If you are like me, you know what you want, but the fact you are unsure of the seating position means you can't possibly be totally sure yet 8)
Pegleg Pete
(250+)
(250+)

Postby goldtar » Sun 28 Feb,2010 18:32

Hi Pete

I call in there and most other bike shops quite regularly. T7's just 40 minutes away.

You have hit the nail on the head with your comment. I want a bike with full fairing that has a sporty look but can handle 2 up and plenty of miles without having to stop every half hour.
goldtar
(0+)
(0+)

Postby ScottyUK » Mon 01 Mar,2010 07:47

I've just done exactly what you're considering ..... and many have before. i.e. CBR600F to Blackbird.

I bought my '07 Blackbird privately but nearly bought a black one from a dealer. In England there were about 12 I found and 3 or 4 made my shortlist. A lot were black....but I went with "Iron Nail" :roll: :lol: i.e. silver/grey. I commute and black would just look dirty and horrid whereas this colour hides it better.

Onto more important things than colour (although it seems the most important thing on the Blackbird forums !!!

I'm 6ft and 14st. I found that on my 600F I felt the bars were too close. I felt a little squashed up. Not enough for it to spoil the bike (2 years and 25k miles show that) but on longer rides I just hankered for more space. The Blackbird being a 600F's big brother seemed like a good move. I think it's a bike you either fit or don't. People who've seen me on it say I look better suited to it. I think my size made the 600F look too small for me. The Blackbird does mean you're in a more sporty position i.e. you are more stretched forward but that gives me the space I was after. I was surprised that the pegs/saddle height combination means that there's certainly no more leg space and I think a little less. I've ordered a peg lowering kit (only
ScottyUK
(250+)
(250+)

Postby Pegleg Pete » Mon 01 Mar,2010 09:11

Nice review Scotty :thumbsup:
The 'Bird is another bike I'd def have in my dream garage for the mile munching touring comfort
Pegleg Pete
(250+)
(250+)

Return to CBR Blackbird