CBR-Forum.uk

Front Suspension

Like the supersonic spy jet from which it got its name, the Super Blackbird delivers an afterburner kick of truly earth-shattering performance that simply takes your breath away.

Front Suspension

Postby CBRRIGG » Wed 29 Nov,2006 13:25

Doesnt seem to be many posts on this section, so let me ask a question;

Ive just aquired a 2001 Blackbird, Fuel injected but the analogue clock model, just before the digital dash was brought in.

Ive previously had a Triumph Sprint, Pan Euro, CBR600 and now the Blackie, but feel that the front suspension is a little harsh at anything below 60MPH, certainly much more so than previous bikes.

Putting my weight on the front forks with the front brake on(while standing still!), I can compress the front suspension about 2-3 inches but it takes quite a lot of force to do this.

I'm thinking of removing the front forks, draining the oil and re-filling, but it would be interesting to get others opinion on what/how the front feels on your bike.
Rgds
George
CBRRIGG

Postby Iggy » Thu 30 Nov,2006 18:04

"Chuff" or "Grim" are the fella's George, they've both had Blackies.

I'm still just a Blackie Wannabie! :oops:
Iggy
(5,000+)
(5,000+)

Main Bike: CBR1100XX-5

Postby Chuff » Fri 01 Dec,2006 07:41

You have a PM 8)
Chuff
(10,000+)
(10,000+)

a.k.a.: Chuff

Postby CBRRIGG » Fri 23 Mar,2007 14:05

Thought I would update my original post.

Last month the rear suspension unit gave out(very spectacularly, going round a bend at about 70 almost suddenly I had no back suspension damping!).
Anyway replaced the rear unit with an overhauled one from Jaws, also fitted a 6mm spacer to the top of the unit, and suddenly the whole bike handles realy well!.

The prior feeling that the front was "harsh" is no longer there and with hindsight was coming off a bad rear shock, getting worse as time went by.

rgds
George
CBRRIGG

Postby Chuff » Fri 23 Mar,2007 16:35

You cant go wrong with Following Jaws advice 8)
Chuff
(10,000+)
(10,000+)

a.k.a.: Chuff

Postby captain » Wed 28 Mar,2007 19:32

In addition to the advice by Chuff, try replacing the original front springs with Hyperpro progressive rising rate ones - whilst you are at it - also replace the rear spring with a Hyperpro

I did this to my "tired" 98 carb'd model and it transformed the feel from the front. I will soon be changing the rear damper for the complete hyperpro set (@£500) Cheaper than an OE and Ohlins and looks good to

Just a thought

Regards
captain
(0+)
(0+)

Postby Tinytim » Sat 30 Jun,2007 04:12

captain wrote:In addition to the advice by Chuff, try replacing the original front springs with Hyperpro progressive rising rate ones - whilst you are at it - also replace the rear spring with a Hyperpro

I did this to my "tired" 98 carb'd model and it transformed the feel from the front. I will soon be changing the rear damper for the complete hyperpro set (@£500) Cheaper than an OE and Ohlins and looks good to

Just a thought

Regards

Just about the same here Captain ( glad you're back O.K.) :)

Replaced my rear shock with a nearly new OEM shock, Hyperpro Progressive front sptings and 7.5 wt oil....plus the 6mm shim...= complete transformation. 8)
Tinytim

Return to CBR Blackbird